Friday, March 9, 2018

Rocking Your world 2018; Week 10

It has been a mixed week here, with days of sunshine, lots of rain and some very fierce winds. This is the season for the Levante wind which whips up big waves along the coast, and makes stepping outside an uncomfortable experience. We have had to do a lot of sweeping up of debris, but nothing has been damaged so all is well. I prefer not to drive along the motorway when it is so windy as parts of it are very exposed, so I have been home quite a lot.

We had just finished our lunch on Sunday when Chris said "It is raining hard again", and looking out the side door, it was indeed coming down thick and fast. But when I opened the front door to make sure none of my flower pots were getting washed out, it was bright sunshine at that side of the house, and there was a beautiful double rainbow spanning from the dark grey clouds into the bright blue sky. Isn't it strange?
Another day, I left the house to go shopping and the sky at the front was black, and in the distance I could see a sheet of rain falling, but at our house it was still sunny as you can see in my picture.
But fortunately, when it does rain, it doesn't usually last for long, and we have had some lovely warm and sunny days when it is much warmer outside than in the house. So we have been sitting out most afternoons. Our porch is fairly sheltered from the wind, and is nice and sunny until the corner of the roof casts a shadow on us.
I took the opportunity to sit out there to sew my squares together for my blanket and to work on the border. Tango is quick to spot a sunny place to lay, and he has been keeping me company.
The blanket is finished now and I am very happy with it. The colours were carefully planned by the designer Lucy, to travel through the shades diagonally across the blanket. You can see what I mean here. The best way I can get a complete photo of a blanket is to hang it from the washing line!
We have two matching sofas in the sitting room, one cream and one navy. My seaside blanket is draped along the back of the cream one, so I decided to put this one along the navy sofa. It goes quite well with my odd mix of coloured cushions. Paco seems to approve anyway.
I have made good progress with my next project, though not enough to show it off yet. I again sat outside today because I needed to do a couple of rows in very dark brown, and I was glad of the sunlight to help me see what I was doing. I think I might have done too much because this evening my hands are so stiff I can hardly use my fingers to work the computer keys.
The sunshine and rain are bringing the garden on a treat. I have fat buds ready to open on the freesias and the osteospermums, and our pink jasmine is now in full bloom.
I was hoping my picture would show some of the bees that are all over it, but unfortunately I can't see them, but there were loads of them flitting from flower to flower  today. It is absolutely smothered in flowers again and it is so pretty. And despite the rain, this year it has stayed up on the wall. Sometimes the weight of it when it is wet, pulls it down. The buds are deep pink but the flowers are almost white.
People walking up the street always stop to look at it and comment on its very powerful perfume that is again wafting through the open window and filling the house.
Today we have had the sitting room window, which is right by the jasmine, open all day. That is the first time this year it has been warm enough. I also went to the market this morning in just a tee-shirt, and at tea-time it was the first time this year I could spread the butter without warming it in the microwave first. All signs that we are turning the corner and moving rapidly into more the weather we expect to have by March.
Today there was no rain forecast so I got up early and stripped the bed, and the sheets etc were washed before I went shopping and blowing out on the line. By the time I got home they were dry and ready to go back on the bed. Dorothy and Jean, can't you just hear our mum turning in her grave at the thought of sheets going back on the bed without a good stint in the airing cupboard first! But I think these got a good airing just on the line today. The sun had just crept around the corner by my line and there was a stiff breeze so they were flapping around all morning. (We don't have an airing cupboard anyway!)
I treated myself to a little azalea plant in Lidls this week, to sit on my front room table. I always chose plants with lots of buds, because none of them last for very long here, and already most of them have opened up. Doesn't it look pretty? Hopefully I will be able to plant it outside later, but I am not very clever at keeping them. We shall see. But for now I will enjoy it in the house.
I haven't only been busy with my crochet this week. I have also made a couple of cards which may make it onto my craft blog later. I have been busy in the kitchen too, making jam. Several friends have asked me when I will have strawberry jam to sell, and I always tell them that I will not make jam until the strawberries drop down to 3€ a kilo. When they first come in they can be as much as 5€ and I hadn't seen any below 4€ yet. However, when I was in Lidls last weekend, they had a one day special of strawberries for 2.70€ a kilo, so I bought enough to do a batch of jam. They were lovely fruit, and it almost seemed wrong to be using them for jam.
Strawberries are very big out here. This one on its own weighed 100g!
Sometimes they can be a bit 'solid' and lack the flavour and sweetness of the smaller English ones, but these were really ripe and smelled and tasted delicious. 
As they were so ripe I made the jam straight away and soon there were seventeen jars labelled and priced and ready for me to sell. I took a few jars to my sewing group on Wednesday and they sold straight away.
Today I went to the market and this time I bought two, 2 kg boxes of them for 5€ each, so that was even cheaper, and this evening I made another batch of jam. So now my cupboard is well stocked. I probably won't make any more of it this year. The folk out here don't eat much bread and jam/marmalade once the weather warms up, and I don't like to keep it for too long.
And that is about it for this week. I have had long video chats with three of my five boys which is always good. The plans for the kitchen are moving along. We are provisionally booked in for the work to start on 22nd May, so my next job will be to clear the garage so I have somewhere to store everything while the work is being done! 
Thank you to those who visited me last week. I am sorry I was so late getting round to each of you but I hope I didn't miss anyone out. I will try to do better this week.
So now I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking Your World, and I'll be back with more, next week.

7 comments:

Jean said...

Glad to hear the kitchen plans are going ahead. Your blanket is really lovely, the colours work very well with that design don't they.
Both your azalea and your jasmine are looking so pretty right now as well.
Jean x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Looks like I'm the late one today. I know it is well into Saturday in your world, but I am still smiling because I really LOVE that throw you made.

I tried to keep two azaleas when I lived in another state. They need lots of sun and warmth, so I suspect the one you purchased will do well where you live.

Those strawberries look wonderful. I would only eat them that way, because I don't like them once they have been processed in any way.

I can almost smell the jasmine here. It's a beautiful plant and I can see why it would attract the bees.

Hope your weekend is wonderful and filled with joy.

Lisca said...

A blogpost for all the senses!
The weather has been that crazy here as well. Rain and storms one minute and warm sunshine the next.
Your azalea and jasmin looks fabulous. I have bought two jasmins and so far they have survived the winter, but obviously they are not flowering yet. I can almost smell yours from here.
And those strawberries make my mouth water. Such lovely jam you have made for such a good price. Well done.
Your blanket is gorgeous. I saw it on Facebook. The colours are beautiful. Well done for having chosen that colourscheme, that must have been quite a job because of the diagonal shades. It turned out fabulous.
Sorry for being late,
Have a great weekend,
Lisca

Lilly's Mom said...

Hello Kate. I'm happy to read about all your activities. That jam looks so delicious! And, your new blanket turned out beautiful. How lucky you are to have a beautiful, fragrant Jasmine at your door. This year we planted an Arabian Jasmine and it's starting to grow. We have glorious rain here today in southern California. The grandchildren are here to spend the night so I will say goodbye. Have a wonderful weekend dear friend. Pat xx

kiwimeskreations said...

What a busy week you have had even if you did not go out much Kate - love the finished crocheted blanket!! Good on Tango for finding the sunny spot, and what a wonderful jam maker you are!! I gave up ages ago and now I am on my own, the jam has been known to go off before the jar is finished!!
Blessings
Maxine

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, I'm a bit later than usual because we're not at home. Loving all your photos and the blanket is lovely. I think the weather every where has been a bit unusual. I remember those big strawberries when we were in Spain but a bit disappointed with the taste. Hope the work on your kitchen goes well. Happy creative week, Angela xXx

Virginia said...

And I am uber late this week - so sorry. You seem to have been having changeable weather as well, but I'm very envious of the idea of having bedding washed, on line and back on bed within the day - I have to prepare bed washing and towel washing like a military operation when I do it, to make sure the airers are free to allow them to dry and even then I still have to finish them in the tumbler.

Your blanket is beautiful and I love it on the sofa - it looks awesome! Can't wait to see your next creations!

The strawberries look beautiful as well, I can imagine the aromas in the kitchen are lovely when you are making the jam! Talking of aromas your plants sound amazing, I love the jasmine plant and its scent - lucky you! I have tiny daffodils appearing in the garden (some are even shorter than the crocus - which I'm struggling to get my head around).

I hope you had a good weekend and hope this week is similarly lovely.

Hugs